Breast Augmentation in America
Breast augmentation is currently the most popular cosmetic surgical procedure and has held this title since 2006. In 2011, over 300,000 breast procedures were performed in the U.S. alone. Women of all ages choose to get breast implants for a variety of reasons, including medical needs and to improve their physical appearance and self-confidence. Getting breast implants can be a monumental experience in a person’s life, and this year, the procedure is celebrating a milestone. The first silicone breast implants were used 50 years ago this year. In 1962, a Texas factory worker made history by getting the first set of silicone breast implants; she is now 80 years old.
Today, there are two types of breast implants available – silicone and saline. Saline implants are filled with sterile saline solution, usually at the time of surgery. Some people complain that saline implants feel unnatural, but improved surgical techniques such as placing the implant behind the chest muscle have helped diminish these concerns. Silicone implants are pre-filled with silicone gel, which is a thick, viscous fluid that’s very similar to the consistency of human fat.
Surgical techniques for breast implants are continuously being refined, increasing the safety and reliability of the procedure. According to the current research, there aren’t significant differences in the safety of either type of implant and they are both deemed safe and effective by the FDA. Pittman Plastic Surgery has been using FDA-approved implants for the past 20 years and feels confident with the safety of each option.
Choosing a Surgeon
It’s important to have a licensed, board-certified plastic surgeon help you decide which type and size of a breast implant are best for your needs. Certain factors, like your body type or the current size of your breasts, might make one type of implant better for you. Both, Dr. Pittman and Dr. Venditto spend a lot of time meeting with each of his patients. During your consultation, we evaluate your unique body size and shape and thoroughly discuss the best choice for your needs. Our surgeons and medical teams bring years of experience to our patients and continue to serve the Athens area.
More blogs we think you will enjoy:
- Breast lift vs. Breast augmentation
- How Long is Recovery from Breast Augmentation?
- Can I Get Implants with My Breast Lift?
- How to Achieve a Natural Breast Augmentation Look
- Can I Get Breast Implants After a Breast Lift?
- Why Breast Augmentation is Growing in Popularity in 2019
- What Are Gummy Implants? Everything You Need to Know.
- How Much Does a Breast Augmentation Cost?
- What Can I Expect During My Breast Augmentation Consult?
- What’s New In Breast Augmentation
- What Will My Breasts Really Look Like After Breast Augmentation Surgery?
- Do I Need a Breast Lift or Augmentation?
- Saline vs. Silicone: Insight on Breast Implants
- How do I know which Implant Profile is right for my Breast Augmentation?
- The Naked Truth: What Can I Expect After Breast Surgery?