Rhinoplasty is a commonly known facial procedure that addresses the nose, which can be a balancing feature for the entire face. This procedure can be both cosmetic and reconstructive as it can improve the nose’s aesthetics and resolve breathing problems. In recent statistics collected by the American Society of Plastic Surgeons, rhinoplasty ranked among the top 5 surgical procedures of 2012. Our surgeons Dr. Ed Pittman and Dr. Chelsea Venditto, often perform nose surgeries and have listed the top five reasons why patients have chosen rhinoplasty:
- Cosmetic concerns– While our nose is a distinct facial feature, it also has many features within itself. The base, bridge, septum, and tip are all components of the nose that can be addressed through plastic surgery. For example, patients who are concerned with their nose’s base (where the nostrils are located) can reduce the width if the nostrils appear too big.
- Respiratory problems– A nasal septum is the thin strip of cartilage between the nostrils. Deviated septums are crooked or displaced septums that cause trouble breathing or sleep disruption such as snoring or sleep apnea. Through septoplasty, Dr. Pittman or Dr. Ski can remove breathing obstructions to allow better air flow and relief for their patient.
- Trauma/broken nose– Whether it is a car accident or impact from a sports mishap, a broken nose can affect both aesthetics and function. Rhinoplasty can reverse the effects of trauma and improve the appearance and function of the nose more than it was previously.
- Revision rhinoplasty– Some patients may be dissatisfied with prior surgery or change their aesthetic goals. Dr. Pittman and Dr. Ski can skillfully reshape and address any areas of dissatisfaction for a more pleasing result.
- Other cosmetic procedures– Plastic surgery procedures can be combined for patients concerned with more than one area of their face or body. Rhinoplasty can be performed in conjunction with other facial procedures such as genioplasty (chin surgery) for overall balance. A chin implant is an important part of balancing the facial profile; the nose and chin should be evaluated together to give the most pleasing facial proportion.
Contact us today if you are interested in nose surgery or any other plastic surgery procedure with Dr. Pittman or Dr. Venditto. Connect with us on Facebook and Instagram for the latest plastic surgery news and monthly skincare savings and office events.